Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ten WYSIWYG HTML editors for Mac OS X

Ten WYSIWYG HTML editors for Mac OS X -

OK, I'm sorry if I have been stuck on the theme of website creation lately, but the TUAW inboxes have been inundated with emails from readers who are concerned about the probable demise of iWeb.

One of our readers, Mickey, wrote to say that "I'm a former Mac user who was forced to switch to PC and has since come back to the Mac. In the interim, however, I have created a personal webpage (mostly for family). I've got hosting and a domain and all that, and I have coded it in Microsoft FrontPage. The way I see it, I have two options 1) use Boot Camp or VMWare Fusion to continue writing the webpage in FrontPage or 2) find a Mac program that might be at least relatively amenable to importing the HTML code from FrontPage."

Mickey wanted to redesign his website in iWeb, but had concerns about the future viability of the app. For that reason, and the fact that being able to edit his existing website on the Mac would keep him from having to do a complete reboot of the site, I figured he needed a Mac replacement for FrontPage -- a Windows application that has been abandoned by Microsoft.

I've compiled a list of ten possible candidates to replace FrontPage with lovely Mac goodness. FrontPage was one of the first WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) website tools that allowed you to design a page by moving elements around while it handled writing the HTML code behind the scenes. If you're looking into a way to move to Mac but still need to keep up a website that you originally created in the dreaded Land of Windows, then you'll find this list of Mac HTML editors to be very useful.

(Via The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW).)

No comments:

Post a Comment