Wednesday, April 6, 2011

How to Receive Gmail through Mail

How to Receive Gmail through Mail -

I use Mail and recently signed up for a Gmail account. I’d like to send and receive my Gmail through Mail. I got as far as setting up Mail to receive my Gmail messages with IMAP, but so far I can’t get Mail to send email from my Gmail account. I have the outgoing server set to <smtp:gmail>.

Your settings should look like this.

That’s the problem. The outgoing server needs to be smtp.gmail.com with user authentication on and your full Gmail address (yourname@gmail.com) as the user name. And the password is of course your Gmail password. Google actually has pretty detailed directions for Apple Mail 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 on its site, under Mail Help > Troubleshooting IMAP. We shortened the direct link for you to save you some clicking around: bit.ly/GmailHelp.

(Via Mac|Life all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment