Friday, March 23, 2012

Can You Use iCloud Without Lion?

Can You Use iCloud Without Lion? -

I have an iMac at home with all of my downloaded iTunes music, plus Quicken and other apps requiring Rosetta, running on Snow Leopard. I recently purchased a 13-inch MacBook Air running Snow Leopard, and have another iMac for work that came with Lion installed. With MobileMe, I was able to keep all of these machines in sync. However, I’m worried that when MobileMe is completely discontinued, I won’t be able to keep the machines in sync with my iOS devices. I cannot do without my Rosetta apps on Snow Leopard. Will it be possible to keep all of my devices in sync without upgrading to Lion?

Unfortunately, Lion 10.7.2 (and later) is the only version of OS X that supports iCloud, as Apple has yet to roll out the iCloud features to Snow Leopard users. This means that after migrating your MobileMe account to iCloud, you wouldn’t be able to sync your Snow Leopard Macs.

iCloud is only compatible with OS X 10.7.2 and later.

Luckily, you’ll still be able to access iCloud Calendar, Contacts, and Documents through the iCloud.com interface. The web apps are pretty slick, and once you’re used to getting all that info in your browser, it won’t matter what computer you’re on. You will still be able to access your email through the Mail app on your Snow Leopard Macs, but you’ll need to follow the setup instructions found on the iCloud support website.

(Via Mac|Life all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment